School Closure – Year 4
Week 2 Home Learning
Hello Year 4! I hope you are all well and enjoying being at home! I am really missing you all and am missing all our laughter! I hope you all managed to access the work last week and I cannot wait to read your stories about Shackleton!
Here is your work for this week.
- Visit Purple Mash 2Do’s and use the video of the Medusa myth to retell the story. Please do the writing in your exercise book.
- Visit Purple Mash 2Do’s and play the grammar games – Past and Present to practise your use of pronouns and About a Wolf to practise using nouns, adjectives and adverbs.
- Sign up to Oxford Owls (www.oxfordowl.co.uk it is free!) then search for the ebook The Secret Garden. It is in book band 14. Read the ebook, you can also listen to the audio! Create a book review of the story. You can include pictures in your review. Use the subheadings: Title, Author, Genre, Characters, Setting, Plot Outline, Favourite Part and Why, Recommendation, Mark out of 5.
- Log into your free Twinkl account and follow this link –
https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t2-e-4933-lks2-easter-differentiated-reading-comprehension-activity – Read the information on Pages 1 and 2 and the questions are on page 3 (please answer them in your exercise book.) If you fancy more of a challenge read the information on pages 5 and 6 and answer the questions on pages 7 and 8.
- Don’t forget to also do your daily reading to an adult as well as your ERIC time. Please log this in your yellow book.
- Quizizz – Pronouns 184231 Nouns 693182
- Spelling Shed activities have been loaded for you.
- Follow this link to 5 lessons of maths for this week – they update on a Monday morning. This is following the lessons we would be doing in class and the questions look just like the ones we use. There are videos for each one to explain what you need to do and an activity for each one. If you are able to print the sheets then please do, otherwise put the answers in your exercise book. The answers are there for your parents!!!
- Don’t forget to play on TTRS every day.
- Visit Quizizz to play the quiz about tenths and hundreds – 505613
- Use BBC Supermovers to dance along to the times tables especially the 6,7,8’s with Fred, Moonbeam and Flibert; also don’t forget to practise our favourite dance with Klara the Hen for the 11x’s tables and ‘shake those tail feathers!’
- Visit Purple Mash 2Do’s – Monster Multiplication, Speed Test 7x, Musical Chairs 7x, Fraction Wall, Equivalent Fractions, Fractions on a Number Line.
Watch these 2 short video clips about the Easter story. Then either rewrite or draw a story map retelling the Easter story.
Join The Body Coach – Joe Wicks each morning at 9am on his YouTube channel to do half an hour PE. You can also continue with your Go Noodling, try to do some dances, some work outs and also so calming ones.
- Watch this video clip and draw and label a diagram of The Water Cycle.
Follow this link to Twinkl to look at the Power Point about the famous artist Escher. Have a go at the tessellation activity.
Some fun things:
- Visit Edinburgh Zoo’s website and watch the different animals on the web cams. https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/panda-cam/
- Join David Walliams at 11am each day for story time. https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/
- Have a go at making Easter Bunny Origami book marks. https://www.easypeasyandfun.com/easter-bunny-corner-bookmark/
1) Write a story, based on Shackleton’s expedition, about a trip to Antarctica where something on your voyage goes wrong. You will need to include: topic vocabulary, fronted adverbials, detailed description – adjectives, adverbs and similes, emotive language, neat joined handwriting, accurate spelling, past tense verbs, paragraphs, full stops, capital letters, question marks, exclamation marks, inverted commas to mark speech and commas in a list. You can write in either first or third person. Please complete this in your exercise book. You could also draw some illustrations if you would like to.
2) Grammar Activities in Purple Mash 2do’s: Word Spot, Harry’s Party, Word Hop.
3) Quizizz – Go to https://quizizz.com/join and enter the codes given below to access following quiz – Adjectives – 373183
4) Daily practise of Spelling Shed activities.
5) Read aloud to an adult every day for at least 10 minutes.
6) ERIC (quiet reading to yourself) for at least 30 minutes.
7) Reading comprehension – Make sure you have signed up for your free parent Twinkl login and then follow this link to find the reading comprehension about Emperor Penguins. Read the text on Page 1 and then answer the question on page 2 – write your answers in your exercise book. https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-t-2547312-emperor-penguin-reading-comprehension-activity-sheet
8) Handwriting – using the example sent home, copy out the school prayer .. This is our school..(found on our website) in your best joined handwriting.
1) Play on TT Rock Stars – Sound Check – for at least 10 minutes every day.
2) Visit BBC Supermovers and dance along to 8 x’s table
3) Visit this website and play this game to help you practise the quick recall of your times tables facts: https://www.timestables.co.uk/multiplication-tables-check/
4) Visit Purple Mash 2Do’s : Musical Chairs, Speed Test, Fractionio’s Pizzeria – Pizza Rookie and Pizza Master, Telling the Time Quiz, Time – half past, Time – quarter past, Time- quarter to.
5) Visit Quizizz – Equivalent Fractions – 643092
6) Column addition practice – visit this webpage and complete the calculations in your exercise book. http://www.snappymaths.com/addition/writadd/resources/addw1000cr1s10s2.pdf
7) Expanded multiplication – visit this webpage and complete the calculations in your exercise book.
1) Visit Quizizz and complete the following quiz – Continents & Oceans – 234550
2) Visit https://www.ukaht.org/learn/the-heroic-era/ and use this to create a timeline of The Heroic Era of Antarctic exploration. You can add pictures too.
Visit Quizizz and complete the following quizzes – The Water Cycle – 697267 States of Matter – 959598
COMPUTING – There is 2Logo saved as a 2Do on Purple Mash, and this document is full of ideas for activities to do, and also gives you lots of instructions about how to use it. Don’t forget to save your work after you have finished!
PE – To keep active you can sign up to Go Noodle for free. Try a variety of their different activities. www.gonoodle.com
MUSIC – Listen to some music by Tchaikovsky.